How to uninstall or remove Ubuntu from Windows

Some of you might find Ubuntu too tough to handle and would wish to remove Ubuntu from dual boot option.

The process to remove/uninstall Ubuntu from Windows dual boot is quite simple and all you need is your Windows OS DVD or CD.

Here are the steps to uninstall Ubuntu safely from the dual boot option with Windows-

1) Login to your Windows operating system
2) Goto Computer management (search in Startup)
3) In the Computer Management window select the Storage->Disk Management
4) All the hard drives in the computer will appear along with Ubuntu Linux drive. Windows drive will have either file system as NTFS or FAT32. But Linux drive will be unnamed.
5) Right click on Linux drive(s) and delete it. 
Select the Linux Partition and delete it.

By deleting the Linux drive, you not only deleted the Linux partition but also the Linux grub loader.
Now you have to install the Windows bootloader. Restart your system and boot from the Windows DVD.
Select Repair your Computer to install Windows bootloader

In the appearing window, click on "Repair your computer".

Now select Command Prompt
Select the Command prompt

In the command prompt window type the following commands -
  • bootrec /fixmbr
  • bootrec /fixboot
Reboot your pc and you are done!
If still any error is encountered, feel free to post here.

18 comments:

do you lose anydata from windows as it repairs?

i, im impressed with the
commands
bootrec /fixmbr
bootrec /fixboot
it help ed me fix my troubled laptop after installing ubuntu on win 7 and it refuses to boot to windows from ubuntu menu..it showed grub rescue which is meaningless to me..honestly, internet medium should be used this way to advice , help and encourage,,im really impressed kudos to you guys well done///after almost sixty (three days) without access to all my files cumulated for almost 8years..i was just too scared to write over those data file/my wife will be the first person to eat me alive if i told her all her files are gone...very well done guys
eddy uk

no data loss,, i could have flatte the laptop, but for the fear of these important items inside i decided to find a way out without loosing any data...after reboot it tboots normally and i have not bothered wether ubuntu is alive somewhere inside my laptop or not for the mere fact i can get my win 7 back with all files intact and working as before well done to you guys again
cheers and merry xmas na d excellent new year

My laptop doesn't even have a CD drive, so booting from the Windows DVD will be ... hard.

See if you can get an ISO from somewhere and boot it from a thumb drive. Same process and it's actually faster.

Can you provide some instructions for removing from Windows 8?

please tell me how to remove it from windows 8.....
and i dont have any linux drives when i open disk management.

Update :
it is better to repair boot and after delete the ubuntu partition!
just in case ...

Today I upgraded ubuntu from 12.10 to 13.04.I am quite new to this os.I have been using windows.I have installed both win and ubuntu in the same cdrive.Now after upgrade minitube is not working it plays few seconds and stop and is not responding.I want to know how I can roll back to 12.10 version or uninstall ubuntu
Thanks

This comment has been removed by the author.

What if the CD is accually a restore partition on the same drive can I do it the same way? Or can I just use the option to restore out of box?

hai friend ,
i have a different problem, i have installed ubuntu inside windows 7 in my "S" drive. now i formatted my "C" drive and installed windows 8.but my "S" drive is not formatted and now when i try to open my ubuntu it is saying that grub file is missing.I dont knw wat to do. Is there any way to rescue my ubuntu without uninstalling?? pls help me...

Hey Dude.
I have win XP
tied to follow the above steps
UN_SUCCESS, Unable to recover data
unable to get any success in CMD with
bootrec /fixmbr
bootrec /fixboot


Any suggestions?

Hi Can Anyone Help Me... I have 2 machine one machine containing Xp and another one containing a Linux Fedora 14. I removed Fedora harddisk and connected to My xp machine. I deleted partition of Fedora now when i start u the window it showing grub command ... I want to install xp in that machine can an one give solution ... Urgent

Thanks

Hi Can Anyone Help Me... I have 2 machine one machine containing Xp and another one containing a Linux Fedora 14. I removed Fedora harddisk and connected to My xp machine. I deleted partition of Fedora now when i start u the window it showing grub command ... I want to install xp in that machine can an one give solution ... Urgent

Thanks

Post a Comment